Board and Committee Position Descriptions
Please Note: Everyone on the Board either as an Executive Board Member or a Committee Chairperson works together as a team brainstorming ideas, making suggestions, and supporting efforts to move our organization forward. This is a friendly and fun environment! The experience and knowledge gained is immeasurable. All terms are 2 years.
- Preside over meetings of the general membership and the Executive Committee. The President will oversee the enforcement of the by-laws and policies as adopted by the Chapter membership.
- Represent and serve the Membership in a positive and respectful fashion.
- Encourage members to be involved in the decision making process through their suggestions, comments, questions and concerns.
- Prepare and distribute agendas for both the Board and Membership meetings.
- Lead both meetings.
- Stay active and involved in committee activities, attending or otherwise supporting as many as possible.
- Encourage and Support Executive Board including MSUE Advisor and Committee Chairs working cooperatively.
- Keep a notebook of records to be passed to the next President.
- In the absence of the President, Secretary, or Treasurer the Vice President shall assume the duties of said office. The Vice President shall oversee all standing committees.
- Attend monthly board and membership meetings.
- Get involved with committees of choice.
- Report any information on committee’s not represented at the board meetings.
- As stated in by-laws assume duties of President, Secretary or Treasurer when absent.
- Maintain written records of the Executive Board Committee and General Membership meetings of the Master Gardeners of Western Wayne County (MGWWC)
- Provide written Minutes and other information to the MGWWC Executive Board Committee, MSUE Coordinator and Committee Chairperson
- Maintain an annual binder of all Minutes, meeting attendance and correspondence belonging to MGWWC
- Respond to all correspondence at the direction of the President, MSUE Coordinator and the Committee Chairperson
- Manage all Chapter income, expenses and bank account(s) according to the policies and procedure outlined in the Michigan Master Gardener Association Financial Guidebook
- Collecting dues and maintaining the membership roster
- Providing a financial report to be read and approved at each meeting
- Providing an annual financial report that will be audited and submitted to the MSUE office
- Needs to be present at meetings
- President Emeritus is the immediate past president who holds this office until a new president is elected.
- Responsibilities are to perform any duties assigned by the executive committee that are not specified under the other officer’s job descriptions.
- Duties may include but are not limited to seeking grants for MGWWC or MSUE projects, liaisons with other groups etc.
- Assist the Master Gardener Coordinator with the various tasks necessary to ensure a successful annual Banquet and Awards Ceremony.
- Coordinate a small committee of Master Gardeners to complete the details of the annual Banquet and Awards Ceremony.
- Secure an educational speaker for the event.
- Work with the Master Gardener Coordinator with the reports necessary to determine eligibility for certificates and awards.
- Coordinate the collection of donated door prizes.
- Manage the registration process.
- Produce a program to be distributed at the banquet.
- Assign volunteers to specific jobs at the Banquet, i.e. set-up of hall, registration, 50/50 ticket sales, clean-up, etc.
- Work closely with the Master Gardener Coordinator to provide an exceptional event
Educational Events Chairperson
- Coordination of the 60 Minute Seminars in February which has developed into one of our major fundraisers.
- Work closely with both the MGWWC board and the Master Gardener Coordinator to coordinate (4) inexpensive 60 minute workshops that would be open to the outside public. Our goal is to keep expenses to a bare minimum in order to provide topics of interest to the public but still raise a profit for our group. ($10 a session or $30 for all four sessions for preregistration)
- Canvas Master Gardeners and others to select topics of interest for seminars
- Present event ideas to MGWWC Board for final selection
- With assistance from former Seminar and Event Coordinator locate and secure speakers
- Coordinate with speakers and MG Coordinator any special equipment or materials that will needed for each session
- Send advertisement requests to free venues (e.g. Free Press, Observer, News Herald, Zvents and Michigan Gardener Magazine)
- Create and maintain spreadsheet to track attendees and payment activity
- Recruit person(s) to coordinate administrative details (e.g. send email communications to participants, registration, check in, ensure beverages and cookies are provided, cleanup)
- Work with Treasurer to transfer funds collected on a timely basis and/or obtain checks to pay for supplies, etc.
- Develop and coordinate other activities throughout the year that the public would be willing to pay to attend
- Solicit applicants for awards
- Review applications
- Present applicants to board for approval
- Notify award winners
- Deposit award winners' checks into their student accounts at appropriate schools
- Making and/or purchasing of finger-food refreshments, beverages and paper and plastic, etc. as needed for General Membership meetings
- Coordinate set up to occur approximately one hour before the meetings
- Coordination of refreshment contributions from other members including special occasions:
- Purchase of ham, condiments, beverages and paper and plastic, etc. as needed for Holiday Party
- Purchase of hotdogs, hamburgers, veggie burgers, buns, condiments and paper and plastic, etc. as needed for June / September Potlucks and "special" gardening days.
- Coordinate cleanup so it is completed prior to 8:45pm. Members MUST be off-premises by 9pm in accordance with RESA guidelines
- Submit receipt(s) for food and other items to Treasurer on timely basis for reimbursement
- Keep existing Excel spreadsheet updated with members' names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and paid status
- Keep existing Google email distribution list updated with members' names, email addresses and phone numbers
- December thru March - collect annual dues:
- Send emails to members soliciting annual dues
- Collect dues and updated membership forms from members (at general meetings and/or via mail)
- Update membership spreadsheet to reflect payment
- Give funds to Treasurer
- End of March remove names of dropped members from spreadsheet and email distribution list
- Send copies of updated membership spreadsheet to Board members (Distribution list name: MGWWC Board)
- Keep copies of existing membership forms
- Share member interests indicated on membership forms with Board to aid volunteerism
- September thru June - send emails each month to members reminding them of upcoming Membership and Board meetings
- Attend and participate in MGWWC Board Meetings
- Work closely with the MGWWC Board, the MG Coordinator and other outside individuals and groups to provide updated communication to both MGWWC Members and the general public.
- Maintain MGWWC Web site and Facebook page with current information about topics of interest
- Ensure MGWWC Website Facebook page meet with all security and confidentiality guidelines
- Work closely with MG Coordinator to ensure material is appropriate and contains no objectionable material
- Send emails to MGWWC Board and/or Members to keep them informed of current topics of interest
- Work closely with Membership Coordinator to maintain current MGWWC Board and General Membership email distribution list
- Attend and participate in Board Meetings
- Sell merchandise at General Membership Meetings
- Sell merchandise at special events (Growing Great Gardens)
- Purchase merchandise to sell
- Plan/help with other fundraising ideas
- Attend and participate in Board Meetings
- Store merchandise